2/11/2009

I don't hate Valentine's Day


I'm pretty indifferent to Valentine's Day. With a boyfriend, I was pretty indifferent and without a boyfriend I'm pretty indifferent. I do like those packs of Valentine's Day cards grade school kids get to hand out in their class. Those are pretty rad. 

There seems to be just as much anti-V. Day sentiment out there as there is pro, but I really don't care that much about it either way. Giving flowers* and chocolates and talking teddy bears to the one you love because you want to show them how much you love and appreciate them is great! Doing it only because it's V. Day and you feel obliged to just means you're a little bit of a douche.

I love cranberry sauce. Not real cranberry sauce, but the fake jelly kind with the imprint of the can, you know? I love it, but for some reason I would only ever eat it on Thanksgiving. Then it occurred to me a while ago that I could eat it whenever I want. They sell it all year long! I could have fake cranberry sauce in the middle of the summer if I wanted!

It's the summer time jellied cranberry sauce that matters in a relationship.

So I don't really care if I don't get a dozen red roses on Saturday. I really, really hate baby's breath anyway. But, I have been thinking about one particular symbolic gesture that's been nagging at me.

My bed is situated in the corner of my room. The corner. That means one side of the bed is against the wall so only one side has a bedside table. One bedside table. I never really thought about it much until recently. I put that second glass of water, the other pair of glasses, the bottle of lube and so forth on that one table. I don't have someone in my bed every night, (and for the record, I don't know if I even want someone in my bed every single night) but when I do, they have no table of their very own.

I never really thought about it before and it's never really bothered me until now.

Is it a sign? Is it a signal that this bed belongs to one person and one person only? Am I not inviting the possibility that there may be someone who will need his own table for his water and his glasses on a regular basis? Am I saying to whoever is in my bed, "You are only a guest here." It suddenly seems so juvenile to only have one bedside table.

I do have someone else's toothbrush in my holder, but a toothbrush doesn't take up a lot of room. I have room for another table. Don't I? But, if I get that second bedside table, will it just be a reminder of the absence when there isn't a glass of water over there?



* Actually, I absolutely love getting flowers. Anytime.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

and the flowers should be sent to? ;)

Stephen

Anonymous said...

My dad was the king of romamnce and he NEVER gave my mom flowers on holidays or birthdays. He'd bring home flowers every now and then for no good reason at all.

Anonymous said...

All it means is that was the optimal mode of arranging things when you moved in.
For a brilliant woman and brilliant artist who is incredibly honest - you could cut yourself some slack. Or let someone else do it for you.

Max and Greta

P.S. Flowers OK - but not baby's breath? What are the other prohibitions?

kinkandculture said...

Max: Aw, thank you! You're right sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. A bedside table is just a bedside table.

p.s. no other rules. just the anti-baby's breath!